ANDERSON FREE CLINIC (AFC)
414 North Fant Street, Anderson , SC 29621
PHONE: 864-226-1294 FAX: 864-261-4543
www.andersonfreeclinic.org – Facebook: Friends of the Free Clinic
Our Mission: To offer medical, dental and medication assistance services to uninsured, low-income residents of Anderson County.
- 1984 – Founded in as a non-profit agency, operating from a little house in downtown Anderson.
- 1992 – Began offering onsite dental services with three treatment rooms
- 1998 – Fant Street Location opens with 7 medical exam rooms, and dental exam rooms
- 2002 – Satellite Clinic in Honea Path is opened to serve the rural areas of Anderson County
- 2007 – Dental hygiene is added to dental clinic services
Who We Serve:
The Free Clinic uses federal poverty guidelines to qualify patients, but most of them fall well below this level. The average annual income for AFC patients is $3,726 – for a family of four (down from the 2010 average of $5,803 and much less than half of the Federal Poverty Level of $10,830 for a single person. Many of our patients are spouses, mothers and fathers who lost their jobs and or insurance in this economic recession.
- After 14 months of having to turn away individuals in need, the AFC was able to accept new patients.
- Our nurse practitioner and volunteer physicians conducted over 4,000 medical visits for over 1,500 patients.
- More than 1,314 dental procedures had been conducted by our dentists and dental hygienists.
- Our onsite pharmacy dispensed over 33,000 prescriptions. Most prescriptions dispensed are medications to treat conditions that can be life threatening if untreated such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart conditions and infections, that patients cannot go without. The value of those prescriptions was over $2.6 million. For every $1 invested in the pharmacy operations $18.50 in direct prescription assistance services & benefits are provided to patients .
- Provided overall $4 million in services to patients at an operating cost of less than $535 per patient.
Our Staff and Volunteers:
- The Free Clinic has a small staff that is the equivalent of 9 full time employees.
- Over 325 community volunteers from all walks of life donate their time/services.
- Approximately 100 doctors, dentists and other health care providers volunteer; while an additional 113 accept referrals at their offices. The value of services provided by doctors at the Clinic in 2011, was over $500,000 (based on Dept of Labor allowed volunteer labor values). That value does not include procedure value
The Free Clinic is Unique Because:
- AFC does not provide services which are available through other organizations. We are the only agency in Anderson providing free medical and dental care to low income, uninsured residents of Anderson County. We are the primary medical home for our patients.
- AFC receives no government funding. Our four major sources of funding, in order of significance, are: 1) Individuals and Churches, 2) Grants, 3) Annual Campaigns/Events, and 4) United Way
- AFC does not provide services which are available through other organizations
- AFC leverages resources by collaborating with other organizations, such as: AnMed Health, AID Upstate, Anderson County Health Department, Cancer Association of Anderson, the South Carolina Gastroenterology Association, and the homeless shelters.
The Anderson Free Clinic makes a difference in the lives of our patients.
“Because of the help I receive from the Free Clinic, I have been able to survive! My husband passed away 05/2/09 so I have had to figure out how to live. Being insulin dependent w/ no insurance, I was hopeless and helpless. Because of the help I receive from the Free Clinic my life is gaining stability and structure. I got a job as caregiver recently… I am taking care of those who cannot take care of themselves.it is rewarding and I relate to them, being one of them “ (Laura O – 51 y.o., October 2011)
For More Information Contact: Barb Baptista, Executive Director, 864-261-4542, ext. 222 or email Barb.Baptista@anmedhealth.org